Wednesday, June 22, 2011

the light of truth itself

I'm reading My Antonia by Willa Cather for book club. It is making me homesick for a home that I barely new, yet felt deeply as a boy. There has always been a part of me born too late and this part of me is the slowest to adjust to the new things that life throws my way.


In the morning, when I was fighting my way to school against the wind, I couldn't see anything but the road in front of me; but in the late afternoon, when I was coming home, the town looked bleak and desolate to me. The pale, cold light of the winter sunset did not beautify--it was like the light of truth itself. When the smoky clouds hung low in the west and the red sun went down behind them, leaving a pink flush on the snowy roofs and the blue drifts, then the wind sprang up afresh, with a kind of bitter song, as if it said: 'This is reality, whether you like it or not. All those frivolities of summer, the light and shadow, the living mask of green that trembled over everything, they were lies, and this is what was underneath. This is the truth.' It was as if we were being punished for loving the loveliness of summer."

2 comments:

aes9999 said...

I die! I LOVE this passage. It's exactly how I feel about winter.

Scarlet said...

I think you have to live in Kansas to understand how conflicted we humans get about the seasons! Awesome book, I must read it!