Monday, June 20, 2011

After Hours... of Sleep

I feel good today because I was exhausted upon arriving home last night. I stayed up too late on Saturday night catching back up with Angela who had just returned from San Diego. It's nice though when over extension leads to a pleasant healing lengthy sleep.

Angela left town Friday afternoon while I was at work. I arrived home to an empty house and took a short nap, as I have become accustom to. I then headed to Griffith Park for one of my Friday night group walks. This time I was joined by Tiger, his neighbor Nick, and an out of town visitor from Tiger's under grade days Siobhan. I enjoy this hour long three mile walk and talk in the evening hours of my favorite park. I enjoy sharing the joy of walking with others, it leads to easy conversation. And just remember if someone tells you to take it easy you should reply "if it's easy I'll take it twice". Or not.

After my walk I shopped for food for Bettina and Myself. I then returned home to my lonely Apartment. Angela and I both enjoy spending short increments of time apart. It's healthy. I for one very much enjoy the rare treat of having my own home to myself. Apartment cohabitation is tough, and I happen to be particularly inclined towards solitude. I think the ability to lose myself in myself comes from my farm child up bringing. I would disappear for hours and hours while I wondered around our farm, which in my mind was always something greater. This habit of disappearing into an inner world has never left me. I spent the greater part of my Friday night staring at my computer, moving musical notes around and writing lyrics. I ended my evening with Bunny exercise time and watching the Pick Up Artist Starring Robert Downey Jr.

Saturday I woke up around 10:30 and drank coffee and had breakfast. I then cleaned the kitchen and the patio and took 3 bags of assorted no longer desired household items to Out of the Closet for donation.

I then remastered the S no S album "These Things". I have not yet listened to the work I did, I hope it turned out better than it was, I have always had a particular love of that album. Time will tell.

I took a break in the afternoon then to watch "The Hurt Locker" which I had been meaning to see. I enjoyed it. While watching the movie I took apart a small guitar amp I had found and used contact cleaner on some scratchy pots. Sure enough it came out good as new. On a guitar geek note I then realized that the amp itself sounded much better being driven by my Jekyll and Hide pedal, particularly the distortion channel.

I spent a great part of the afternoon going through some songs to see if there was anything screaming "do me" at me. I ended up spending several hours taking an S no S song and trying to adapt it into a Turbo Sunshine song. I chose "Where are they now" from the first S no S album and turned it into a tune called, "Where did you go?". I am not nearly finished but I'm happy with the result thus far. We even rehearsed on it a a little bit Sunday afternoon.

Angela arrived home on saturday night. She brought me some wonderful roast beef sandwiches. They were pre packed in aluminum foil and mighty tasty. We talked and drank late into the night. It was fun and relaxing.

Sunday we woke up and I busted my ass a bit to prepare for Turbo Sunshine rehearsal. I had to make a few new tracks and make some sheet music for Elene. Around 1pm we packed everything up and drove to the Valley, first to Ben's house to say hello, catch up and take a peak at the burlesque prop which he is building for Dolly Dagger. While there we met his brand new dog, Henry. Big Saint Bernard. Cute!

We shortly left and Drove to Elene's. We set up and did a Turbo Rehearsal first. This was a momentous rehearsal because Angela played the E-drums for the first time. I've taken to calling her "mommy lee". She seems to have a natural knack for rhythm and she confided that she enjoys playing the drums much more than she does singing. This makes me excited. She has scheduled some drum lessons next month with Shitting Glitter's old drummer Alexa, I can't tell this blog how happy this turn of desitny makes me.

After Turbo rehearsal Angela switched places with Myles, who drummed for a Devin Tait and the Traitor's rehearsal. Myles surprised me with his drumming and excited me for the future of DT&T as well.

Our Sunday of rehearsal was capped by Elene cooking a wonderful Chinese meal. We drank a bit and talked and stuffed our faces. We then chilled on her roof top as the sun left the world for another day.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Loved reading this blog!