Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Warming up the Semaphore

Allow Me by S no S

Sunday after I got bloopy, squelchy and bleepy with "The Last Time That You Die" I decided I needed to get a bit human again. So I pulled out a song I have been working on for 10 years or so. This song was originally called "Oh Me", and i was never happy with it. My great friend Jason helped me with the lyrics in the verses and really tightened them up for me. So as I was strumming it yesterday and thinking about it I just started to change the lyric from "Oh Me" to "Allow Me" and all the sudden it made more sense, then rather than getting quieter in the chorus section as I had before it allowed me to build up a bit. Simple change, better result. I ad libbed the last section, the it is best left remembered part, which is why it's sort of awkward. I'm not sure why I do that. After I have been recording an entire continuous take, to try and add more words to the end is a bit wreckless... Usually it just ends in me hitting stop, delete and doing it again. This time I guess it worked a bit so I kept it. Perhaps thats why I do it, just in case I can sneak up on a moment and snare it.

No comments: