Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Feelings For Electric

It has been a week since horrible unspeakable meltdown. Things seem to be correcting and restoring course. I will be vague, but things will continue to get better I hope, and more than anything I hope that I don't forget the things I've learned.
We rehearsed last night at Devin and Dylan', their apartment is decorated for the coming birth of some god's son. It was really nice. I played acoustic guitar and it felt very right. Wearing a strap so that I could stand but feeling the strings in that special way you only get from the immediate acoustic. It's harder, I had to add notes in parts where the sustain of my dead strings was not enough to fill the part, but that made it fun too. It got me thinking, and that's a thing I like, It also stopped me from thinking, and thats a thing I like even better.
The band seemed tight, as a unit, and happy as people to be in the same room. It made me appreciate a bunch of little things that are easy to forget when you heap in all sorts of stupid shit that can accompany a stressful life. It was a moment, I was in it and not even really thinking about it, I just felt like hitting strings and trying to make them one with the things the people around me were doing.
Prior to rehearsal had the good fortune of watching a DVD of our performance On Q live, a performance we had not yet seen nor heard. It was actually unbelievably amazing, and I say that not to be braggish, but because I was that astonished. It set the tone of possibility, and I think that tone blended into everything else for the rest of the night.
After the rehearsal we journeyed to a Tuesday night haunt, The Palms. Our rag tag group of pals came out, and it just felt nice. It's really nice to be happy and be around people that you trust and enjoy.
To catch up on a point that got missed in the muddle of these last weeks, it's important for me to point out that a long standing desire of mine found its way met a few weekends back. Amy and I finally had the opportunity to take a ride on the Dearly Departed Tour, driven and hosted by Scott Michaels. A three hour tour ended up a four hour tour, a truly magical event. I have wished to meet Scott since stumbling across the Findadeath.com over a year ago, so taking that wonderful tour, and meeting such an exotic bird in one afternoon turned out to be totally enchanting, and inspiring. It makes me realize again that I love this city of Los Angeles, but even more so I love the people that come here with a yearning greater than most, a yearning so bizarre that there is really no place on earth for them, but they come here because it's the closet thing to home they will ever get to find. Those people don't tend to stay around long, and in some cases they might be forgotten completely, if not for some like minded souls.

No comments: