Friday, May 15, 2009

A Regional Memory.

My fly was down the other day, or to be more generally specific, my zipper on my pants was down the other day when I did not intend for it to be. As I reached down to zip it up I said to myself "oh no, my cows are getting out!".
Growing up in western Kansas this was a common euphamisism for your pants being unzipped. Your cows are getting out. It was also a game where when you noticed some one's fly was down you would start counting and how ever high of a number you got to before they zipped up was how many cows had escaped.
I was a sloppy child and I lost many cows.

I have found in a brief survey of people around me that people in california and other parts of our fine country did not keep cows within their pants. Sad. I'm going to bring it back.

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

If anyone can bring cows back to California, it will be you. But what about all the "happy cows" from Cali and their cheese?

aes9999 said...

This entry made me laugh so much. I have no idea why - but I guess it's partly due to the fact that I never even thought about people NOT discussing letting the cows out!