Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Building Fences, Thinking About Bridges

I've been recently rather active. The past Two weekends I have contracted myself for extra work in my Bosses backyard. It's been great to wake up early on a Saturday morning and do something constructive. Making something where nothing was before. The first Saturday we put together a Rubbermaid storage shed. It took a few hours and ended up looking basically as the box said it would. It was a bit tricky in places as one piece didn't seem to want to square up. Last Saturday we built a fence around his hot tub. This was a feat of engineering. There are no anchor posts sunk in the ground, it's a free standing fence that is only attached to his deck and held up by geometry. Such a trip to build. I was beat at the end of this working day but pleased.
I have joined a book club. I met with them for the first time last Sunday. We read Blood Meridian by Cormac Mcarthy. I did not much expect to enjoy the book club experience nearly as much as I did. I've always found it a bit off putting to discuss a book with I've read with others, but it was simply not off putting at all. I enjoyed the lively discussion and intelligent commentary of my new printed page companions.
Next month we will read William Gibson's Neuromancer. Due to the book's cyberpunk computer age themes I think I may try an experiment in online reading. I figure I have the unstructured computer time before me so that I might attempt to read this one entirely online. Then depending on how satisfied I am with that I might also read a paper version. I'll blog the results.
My running is going really rather well. I'm feeling confident in my ability to continue this activity that I love. I find I really look forward to my minds wanderings and the sun and the air. To say it's refreshing would be coming up short in description.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed your book club experience. Did anyone from craigslist show up? Send pics of Craig's fence and shed!