Monday, October 17, 2005

More Than Just Imagined

Saturday turned out even better than Buckie Expected. I was accompanied in my journey to Malibu by both Devin and Amy. The drive was nice, Amy slept and Devin bubbled with the excitement of his coming trip.
We sat down in the living room of Hoagie and Kim, with the dog Mingus there as well, and listened to the five songs we had not yet heard Hoagie's treatments of. Those songs were, dichotomy, The Amnesty Party, Slut Buffet, Grady and Lady Slipper.
The Amnesty Party blows me away, the tune is already an oddity to us because we've never played it live, nor have we even rehearsed it together. It remains virginal, furthering the purity is the recording being very spaced in time. I wrote the structure of the first part of the song one day while Amy and I still lived at Larrabee. I reverted back to my S no S methods, and used hammerhead drums, acoustic guitar and an actual bass guitar. The main sticking part for me was the guitar progression, it felt very right, I believe Amy wrote the words to it later, after I had reprogrammed the drums on the Korg ESX 1, after we had moved to Orange Grove. Devin for this part layered many beautiful keyboard parts on top. Most of the vocals were taken from the scratch track, and an amalgamation of the others, Hoagie here did brilliant work in patching together a puzzle.
Grady is another master work, I had a hard time visualizing how this song would work as a recorded piece, but it's power is apparent, and it's intention is realized.
dichotomy is coming along, I am rather happy because it contains more lead guitar than any other song on the album.
Slut Buffet is absolutely amazing! There is a totally new part in the end, making it almost twice as long as it was before, it's stunning and impressive.
I'm gushing.
Ladyslipper will be considerably different than the single version, but also true to the original meaning.
We listened to the songs we had not heard first, then we altered the states a bit and listened to the songs in an order none of us had ever heard them in before. This was the first time that Hoagie was able to listen to the songs in a purely "listening" sort of way. I am so proud of us, it's a feeling quite unlike any other, I can't wait for people to hear what we have created.
In the end Kim was kind enough to cook up a bit of nosh, and we even cracked open a bottle of Champaign, thus just reaffirming my feelings that we had just taken part in a ceremony of passage, and a furtherance of commitment.

No comments: