Saturday, July 04, 2009

Backyard dreams and the modern divide

I'm in San Diego celebrating the 4th of July, a holiday which seems to mean less with each passing year, after all how independent are we as a country anymore?
I'm having a wonderful moment though, visiting with Angela's family and enjoying wonderful food and a few beers. There are plenty of guitars here, which belong to her uncle Earl. I have been invited and encouraged to play them and I have.
I've claimed a spot on a chair in the shade of the backyard for my own. It is here where I have passed time plucking and strumming or reading or listening to the conversational murmur from inside.
For reading I have with me "Literary LA", written by my neighbor Lionel Rolfe. I'm half way through and enjoying it very much. Its had me thinking more about writing, perhaps this is why I've decided to mark the moment with a photo and a blog on my blackberry.
It also inspired me further consideration of the accomplishments and legacy of those who lived before me. Such a rich history of thinkers, writers and livers who occupied the very same geographic area which I now occupy. I am thinking of a concept, what this afternoon in my own mind I decided to for now call "the modern divide". There seems to be a point or perhaps a couple of generations which have divided themselves from the past. Where any curiosity about history has been severed. Where the lives they lead and they way they choose to leave them are a grand chasm apart from those who came before them, in many ways not at all relating to their distant relatives. Has it always been so?
These are half brewed thoughts on this fourth of July, I shall come to no conclusions anytime soon. Let's discuss.

2 comments:

ronsolo said...

Something similar happened to me as a highschool freshman. I got interested in writing poety and discovered E.A.Poe Nothing was ever the same after that.

Scarlet said...

I got hooked on oldie movies and classic historical fiction. I yearned to have lived in such a simple time period, but alas, I would miss my Macbook too much!